Do you ever feel like life would be easier if you could just control everything? Or, perhaps you’d say you’re not controlling…as long as everything goes the way you want it to! Friend, I understand both of those concepts–too well! That’s why I invited my friend, author Jennifer Dukes Lee on the show today to talk candidly about it. Jennifer offers some great insights that will encourage your heart if this is an area in which you are wrestling. Here are a few things we talk about today.
Why Do We Want to Control Everything?
- The connection between our desire for approval and control.
- How it can be very subtle.
- How high achieving, high capacity women may be more likely to have this challenge.
- How control keeps us from connection!
- Why being a ‘control freak’ is actually an asset in certain professions–but how it may not be an asset at home.
- How to have a mindset shift in this arena.
- Why being capable doesn’t always equal being called.
- And so much ore!
Jennifer Dukes Lee is the author of several books mentioned in today’s show including (Amazon affiliate links):
- Love Idol: https://amzn.to/34qPFs5
- It’s All Under Control: https://amzn.to/3stBLOa
- It’s All Under Control Bible Study: https://amzn.to/3ovXbIZ
- Growing Slow: https://amzn.to/3shDQfQ
- Find freebies Jennifer mentioned here: https://jenniferdukeslee.com/itsallundercontrol
- Connect with Jennifer at Jenniferdukeslee.com
If you enjoyed this episode and want more ideas to answer the question: Why do we want to control everything? Check out this episode of the podcast called How to Stop Being a Controlling Woman or this one on the connection between eating disorders and control.
You may also enjoy these posts from the archives: How a Control Freak Almost Ruined My Marriage and What to Do When You Feel Out of Control with Body Image Issues.
Connect with Compared to Who? take the free body image 5-Day Email Challenge and get your free “Walk to Lose the Weight of Comparison” Walking Workout Download here: https://comparedtowho.me
Support the show by joining our NEW Patreon Community here. We’ll have exclusive monthly virtual get-togethers starting in March and so much more. Learn more here: https://www.patreon.com/comparedtowho