How can I encourage my single friend who desires marriage? What do I say (or not say) to my single friends? Today, Jennifer Hand and I talk about her journey as a forty-year-old single woman. We talk about all the assumptions we make around our friends who are single or in any other situations that are “different” from our cultural norms. “Look what you can do if you’re single.” “It’s a good thing you’re single so you can serve God.” Jenn’s heard all the cringe-worthy but well-meaning sentiments from friends within the church. In today’s show, Jenn brings encouragement, real talk, and truth to these questions. If you’re single, this will encourage you. If you want to know how to be a better friend to single women, this is a must-listen. This is part two of an episode on fear and faith featuring Jennifer Hand.
Today we talk about What to Say to a Single Friend and More Including:
- How people have told Jenn to “delight herself in the Lord” so she can get married (and how that missed her heart!)
- How there’s no magic formula for marriage.
- Is God good even when his plan or timing don’t match mine?
- How feeling and knowing we are loved helps us love others better.
- We talk about fear of success and the pressure of that.
- How fear paralyzes us but faith propels us.
- What to do when you feel stuck in the “safe and sane”
- What it means to give ourselves permission to dream.
- What to do if you are in a long season of waiting and how to know God is working behind the scenes.
- Tips for prayer and praying for what you desire in a theologically sound way.
- How to combat the biggest underlying fear: that God will be good to us and we can trust him.
- Listen to Heather on Jenn’s podcast: Coming Alive here: https://comingaliveministries.libsyn.com/with-heather-creekmore
Have you read Compared to Who? Check it out and start reading free, here: https://comparedtowho.me/compared-to-who-book-for-christian-women-on-body-image/
Check out Heather’s coaching options:
Ready for some extra support on your journey to body image freedom? Do you want to believe you are more than a body but still feel stuck? Learn more here: https://comparedtowho.me/christian-body-image-coaching-insecurity-confidence-gospel/
Meet Jenn Hand
Jenn has a Master’s Degree in professional counseling from Richmont University and although not in private practice, loves to apply the things she learned as she helps you come alive.
Jenn has been professionally speaking since 2004 and became the Executive Director and founder of Coming Alive Ministries in 2012. She spent two life-changing years overseas in South Asia as a missionary and has traveled to 22 countries to share the love of Jesus. Learn more about Jennifer Hand here: https://www.comingaliveministries.com Read Jenn Hand’s brand new book, “My Yes is On the Table: Moving from Fear to Faith” on Amazon here.* (Amazon affiliate link.)